There’s a certain beauty of a Bundt cake, I guess its just that the pan ensures you get an even bake and the ridges gives it the eye-catching visual appeal. Some of my bundt pans have become old and I finally got a new one. To add to it the Bangalore weather is perfect for baking at the moment. If you ask me it feels like winter here. The incessant rain and grey skies definitely makes one feel like its December and not July.
If you take a 100 people, I guess only 10 will say they don’t like chocolate or chocolate cake. I happen to be one of those people but my husband is a chocolate person. Of course now he steers clear from any added sugar but if it is chocolate cake he doesn’t mind eating a piece as long as it isn’t cloyingly sweet.
As friends keep asking me when I am resuming commercial baking, I am doing a lot of recipe trials and this recipe is a result of it . Even a non-chocolate fan like totally loved this.
Here’s my recipe –
Gluten Free Chocolate Bundt Cake –
Serving – 13- 14 slices
1 bundt pan – 9.5 inch
1 whisk and spatula
Prep time : 20 minutes
Bake time : 35-40 minutes
- Sorghum /Jowar Flour – 70 gm
- Brown Rice Flour – 70 gm
- Tapioca Flour / Powdered Sabudana – 70 gm
- Ground almonds (not blanched just ground almonds with skin on/almond meal ) – 15 gm
- 1/2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 75 gm unsweetened cocoa powder
- 200 gm jaggery powder / gud
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp psyllium husk or flax seed powder
- 2 eggs * or flax eggs
- 220 ml dairy or non dairy milk
- 20 ml coffee
- 60 ml sunflower oil
- 1.5 tsp vanilla essence
- .5 tsp coffee essence (optional)
3 tablespoon of thick coconut milk or any dairy cream with 3 tablespoon of jaggery powder.
or 2 tablespoons of cream cheese , 2 tablespoons of cream and 5 tablespoons of powdered sugar, any kind of sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius . Grease the bundt pan with butter or oil .
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs, coffee, milk, sugar, oil and vanilla essence in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl , sift together the flours, ground almonds, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, salt and psyllium husk. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture to form a batter.
- Transfer the batter to the bundt pan. Bake the cake for 35 minutes or till a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes after you take it out from the oven.
- Then remove from the pan and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Pour the drizzle over the cake.
- Serve cake as is or with chocolate sauce, cherries or any tart fruit.
- I used Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Between Wheafree, Zero G, Dr Gluten,Schar, Bob Red Mills, 24 Mantra Organic – you get celiac safe gluten free flours and ingredients.
- To make it vegan, please use non dairy milk and flax eggs – 2 tablespoons of flax seed powder in 6 tablespoons of warm water .
- Jaggery is the dark brown sugar extracted from Indian palm sap .
- It is very important you sieve the dry ingredients otherwise the cake will be lumpy especially as jaggery is used . If you do not want to buy jaggery powder, you can just grate jaggery from a block and then grind it in a dry grinder or coffee grinder.
- You can also top the cake with icing sugar or dessicated coconut.
- If you cannot tolerate or use nuts , please use oats or the equal quantity of sorghum.
For more cake recipes –
To know more about gluten free living or celiac disease do check out – https://www.amazon.in/Gluten-Free-Life-My-Celiac-Story/dp/9352776763/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
If you do make my recipe please tag me on Instagram @jagglutenfree or Facebook – www.facebook.com/GFIndia